"We can't even make a consistent prognosis of her fate, including... whether she is alive or dead."
UPDATE JANUARY 2010 THE MCCANNS COULD HAVE BEEN CHARGED WITH CHILD KIDNAPPING AND TRAFFICKING (Pt Prosecutor giving evidence in an ongoing case in Portugal where the McCanns are demanding ONE MILLION POUNDS IN DAMAGES FROM THE OFFICER WHO INVESTIGATED THEM!!!
28 Oct 2012
McCann finally admit they collect but there are no private detectives, sounds like fraud
Madeleine McCann vanished in the Praia da Luz on May 3, 2007
Sunday October 28,2012
ByJames Murray and Tracey Kandohia
KATE and Gerry McCann are no longer employing private detectives to search for their missing daughter Madeleine.
They are pinning all hopes of finding their child on Scotland Yard detectives who are conducting an “investigative review” of evidence but have yet to make a breakthrough.
The Sunday Express understands the McCanns stopped using former police detectives Dave Edgar and Arthur Cowley some months ago when their contract ran out.
While they worked on the case they built up a good relationship with Kate and Gerry, of Rothley, Leicestershire, who felt they applied sound common sense to their inquiries in Britain and Portugal.
“There was no fall-out,” said a source. “They did the work as required and got on well with Kate and Gerry. Their contract simply came to its natural end.
“It was felt the lead should be taken by the Scotland Yard detectives working on the review. Dave and Arthur passed over all their material to the Yard officers.” There has been no mention of the decision to end the contract on the McCanns’ findmadeleine website, which still states: “The majority of the fund money has been and continues to be spent on investigative work to help find Madeleine.
It was felt the lead should be taken by the Scotland Yard detectives working on the review
“Additionally money continues to be spent on the wider ‘Awareness Campaign’, reminding people that Madeleine is still missing and to remain vigilant.”
The fund has been bolstered by at least £1million raised from Kate’s bestselling book Madeleine.
It was published in May 2011 shortly after the fourth anniversary of her eldest child’s disappearance from the Algarve resort of Praia da Luz on May 3, 2007.
At the book’s launch, GP Kate, 44, said: “While she remains missing, the onus is on us to keep looking for her. Investigations and campaigns cost money, which has to be raised by us.
“Every penny we raise through the sales of this book will be spent on our search for Madeleine. Nothing is more important to us.”
Then, after successfully lobbying David Cameron, Scotland Yard was called on to conduct the review using some of the force’s best murder detectives.
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, who leads the review codenamed Operation Grange, said earlier this year he believed Madeleine, then three, had been snatched by a stranger and could be alive.
At that time his team was following 195 potential new leads. Portuguese police chiefs, who head all global investigations, have refused officially to re-open the case, although some officers have been assigned to assist the Yard.
In August, Met Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe appeared to cast doubt on the review’s future when he said he would ask David Cameron how long he would fund it for.
However, there was good news last week when the Home Office said there was no deadline on the work being conducted in secrecy by detectives.
A spokesperson said: “We have no plans to end the funding and the review into the search for Madeleine will continue.” It is thought it will have cost £2.5million by the end of the year.